Monday, July 13, 2009

Happiness

The other day a friend of mine said he read an article about How To Make Money. Number 11, apparently, was Don't Be An English Or Art Major.

So I said that I read an article called How To Give A Rat's Rear End Whether You Make Money or Not, and Number 1 was Don't Be An English Or Art Major.

I further said I read an Article called How To Be Fulfilled and Happy With Your Station in Life Almost No Matter Where You Are, and Number 1 was BE an English or Art Major.

In all of these, Music and Theater majors should have been included, but we can assume they fall under the general heading of Art.

The two articles I claimed I had read were not real articles. They were lies. But they were lies that were perfectly true, which is a concept an English or Art or Music or Theater Major would Understand.

5 comments:

Robin said...

Yep, I agree with pretty much all said here.

This is an argument I have a lot with one of my best friends. You can prolly guess who takes which side.
One point, though, that I feel is worth making is that if you plan on marrying, having a family, ect., it isn't a bad idea to go for a job that makes more money/government job. Suddenly, I can actually get my knee looked at when it bothers me because Mater works for the state and so we have health insurance.

Jus' a thought.

Ethan said...

Oh, yeah, an excellent point, but I'm never going to go to college for something that will be miserable but might get me a job with health benefits over something that I love and... in the end, is pretty much just as likely to get me a job with health benefits.

Robin said...

Yeah, I don't believe that you should do something that makes you miserable, just for the benefits.
But it also isn't right to scorn jobs that make more money, just because they make more money, or wouldn't be right for you, is it?
(That's a rhetorical question, btw. See, I used the very special rhetorical question mark)

Ethan said...

Well, I'm answering it anyway. No, it wouldn't be right, but that's not at all what I'm doing. So there.

Aaron.D.Nemoyer said...

I tend to agree with your thoughts. Most all English and art majors according to their kind understand the balance of supporting self or a family and the value of being true to self. This is not to say those that major in other areas inherently do not, but I have met far more Business, Engineering, Med-track students than students in the Arts who might have a rough lesson when they realize that profitable career but not doing something they Cared for was not a key to Happiness.

Note well, I may be a little biased having all my best friends majoring in the Arts and being big in my personal philosophy on the importance of being true to oneself and one's conscience. Then again, Luther seems to back me on the last of those if his famous quote is anything to go on. ("I cannot and will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand, I can do no other, so help me God.")